Sunday, March 16, 2008

SINGAPORE.... AT LAST!

If you sometimes get all angry and frustrated traveling on business or pleasure with the airports and immigration and all that... Suck it up and be glad that you are not an Uzbek.


We arrived in Singapore from Auckland as scheduled 6:03 Am. I warned Katy that we would probably have some problems and delays whenever we go with my passport, and it turned out to be 100% true. The problems started with me leaving Auckland. We all got to the airport and Check-in process took us 3 times longer than other people. The check-in girl at the airport couldn't even pronounce Uzbekistan, even though my passport was right in front of her, so she couldn't find it in her system. Then it took 30 minutes to figure out that I didn't need Singapore visa because I'm in transit and will be staying in Singapore only a couple of days. She couldn't comprehend all of that, so, she called a customs officer and she sorted it all out. I was getting all impatient and feeling sorry for my badass passport and my country, Katy on the other hand, was handling it all well and did most of talking. Anyways, what should've taken us 10 minutes took 40 minutes, but... we got our boarding passes and checked in our luggage, so, eventually everything was good. After that we said Goodbye to Katy's dad and mom. It was very sweet. I was glad that there were not as much tears as I thought, because it was a touchy moment, and if Katy's mom would've started crying, I probably would've shed a few tears as well.. And isn't it embarrassing? haha~ Of course not. Just kidding. But we will see them very soon in Uzbekistan. And then when they leave, I'll let my tears flow.. ha~


So, as I said we arrived 6:03 and went straight to the immigration check-point. Katy - no problem. My passport - "hmm.. do you have an onward ticket from Singapore?.."

Me: "No. We're planning to leave Singapore by train to Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur."

Officer: "I'm afraid we can't give you visa because you need to have a flight ticket, not train or bus.."

Anyways, we were dragged to the immigration office and were explained that I will get a 96 hours visa only if we have a flight ticket. By that time it was almost 7 o'clock. So, we had to sit down and rethink our plans as to how we will move around. After all thinking, internet researching, talking on the phone with AirAsia airline and all that we finally bought the tickets to KL for Wednesday, March 19th. It was half past 9 am then. We go back downstairs to the immigration office, show them booked tickets, wait another 10 minutes for my passport to get processed and finally I get the stamp in my passport and WE GET OUT~~~ Again, Katy had to do a lot of talking , booking flight, and everything... It was almost impossible for me to understand what people were saying on the phone. And even Katy had problems understanding and had to ask again and again.
See that row behind me?.. Immigration check-point... Never felt so good having passed one.
Proudly showing my Uzbek passport. :(
Anyways, after that we had to go and get our luggage in Lost and Found. Got on the bus to our hostel. 20 minutes later, arrived there, had been shown our dorm room, which smelled like a mixture of unwashed feet, sweat, women's parfume and cosmetics. It wasn't very strong smell, so, I think we can cope for 2 nights, and then for the third night we will move into double when it vacates. All doubles were booked out.
Now... we're all showered and refreshed althought a bit tired. So, we'll go and eat something good... which Singapore is famous for...
PLEASE, PLEASE... pray for my next successful border crossing... Amen~

No comments:

Post a Comment