Saturday, June 14, 2008

FIRST WEEK FLEW BY.

It's been a week and a day since we landed here. A week long impressions?. Desert-like hot (for instance today is about 41 degrees celcius, yesterday when I look at the thermometer in the car for the temperature outside at about 6 something Pm, it was 39 degrees. Note, all these numbers are for the temperature in the shade; out in the sun add 5~8 degrees more. At least it's dry here, so, it's livable. If it was as humid as in Thailand or other similar places, it would've been hell on earth. No kidding.), desert-like sunny, not a glimpse of clouds, my relatives met my expectations in being hospitable, helpful, and food-giving & "feeding" (here they would be feed us, of course).
We've moved into our apartment with our bags and nothing else on past Sunday. My mom gave us some mattresses and pillows, a bunch of unmatching curtains, and some kitchen utensils, my aunty gave us my grandmother's chairs from 60s and a low dining table, which my dad made years ago. The chairs look cool, we like them, so, we will keep them for our new apartment. We bought a small old Soviet fridge off the previous owners of the apartment, and they also left a couple of old furniture junk, which is still usable, as long as you don't move it, for the risk of it falling apart during movement. ^^ We hired 2 girls to clean the apartment before we moved in, when I saw them, I didn't think they'd do a good job, they did okay with windows but with the rest of it it was as I expected - SO-SO. Oh, well...
After getting done with all the paperwork we started looking for a crew to start renovation in our apartment. Through someone and someone of that someone we found a crew and they started renovation on June 10th. According to the plan, they should be done in 2 months. My super-cautious cousins and other relatives kindly told me to forget about the time-frame I was given and amount of money I was quoted for. "Think double of whatever time and money they told you, for your renovation"- said my cousin. Well, I don't want to. I will try to stick to whatever budget we have in mind. Of course plus-minus 10% maybe. Anyways, today we went into the apartment to look at the progress, and we saw a couple of walls gone, almost all windows frames laid outside, old doors taken out, the wallpaper and flooring ripped off. From tomorrow they will be needed a lot of cement, sand and other stuff, which will make our saving less and less day-by-day. Oh well, what wouldn't one do to live in a nice house. We're still deliberating whether we want good wooden floors or just linoleum, nice doors or re-use the old doors, and stuff like that. A lot of decision-making needs to be done... On top of that my hands (and my butt) are itching to do something to turn the renovation money drain into money-making machine. Here's the million dollar question, "What kind of business should we start?" Ideas are there, but the process of picking the one that will make us millionaires is painfully slow. There's a good chance of you benefiting from us becoming millionaires, so, pray for us, think with us... hahaha~~~
Today we've decided that we need suspended ceilings, because the ones that are there are very uneven. We also had a few classes of Russian and Uzbek language. Katy had Russian and Uzbek and I had Uzbek. I guess I did study it in school, because it sort comes back in a very slow and rudimentary way from the back of my brain.
We also have a little dog called Kuzya. My cousin's husband bought him in the market because he felt sorry for him and took him to the office, where he became a little nuisance. So, when we showed up, everyone wanted us to have this dog and rescue from whatever would've happened to him otherwise. He's a little bit bity at the moment. So we have to scold him and distract him with his toy all the time. Otherwise he's very cute and somewhat looks like Ivanka.
One of the frustrating things here is the internet. You can't find it readily available everywhere even in Tashkent. And also the speed is just what we call in Russian "a turtle speed". In order to get decent internet speed you need to pay helluva lot of money. I don't know... Maybe latter, when we have some income we'll do that. For the moment we use either free wireless internet in cafes or my cousin's office, or go to Hyundai distributor, who knows me and kindly lets us use internet there. Now, they have very good and fast internet. I wanted to upload some pictures here, but my guess is that it will take 2 days to upload one photo, sadly.

I'm also happy that a few of our friends have confirmed their coming to our wedding in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment