Saturday, April 12, 2008

Not everything all that bad...

I realized that my previous blog about Bangkok sounded like a bad experience. Oh, well, it wasn't all that bad. Despite of all that craziness Bangkok trully is the tourist capital of the world. From money exchange to information availability, getting around, etc., everything is made for the tourists. And I also should mention Thai massage and Thai Mango. Thai mango is like Zespri Kiwi. While many countries grow and sell kiwi-fruit, Zespri has the quality and taste like no others (Chilean, Chinese, etc.). The same applied to mangos. Thai mangos are the biggest, the juciest, the sweetest. We've been having it every day in one or the other manner, eating it just like a fruit or have it as a fruit shake on a hot day. Today I bought 4 huge mangos for US $1.5. I remember buying it in Korea, a small and green one for over $3.
We also have been having Thai massage almost every day. After walking around Bangkok with our bags filled with our heavy valuables (mostly my camera gear), your back and legs start to scream in pain. And nothing relaxes it more than a good Thai massage. And shopping is great too. We've sort of skipped beaches in Thailand because we spent a lot of money on diving in Malaysia, but with the amount of money spent on shopping, I think we could afford a dive or two in the Andman sea in Thailand... haha~ Well, we might dive in Cambodia. We will certainly go to the beach there.
When we went to the Vimanmek mansion in Bangkok, which is just a name of the royal house built entirely from teak, and which is still being used occasionally by the incumbest royal family for the reception of the honored guests or private use, as I said in my previous post it was a bit frutstrating. My advice is go there, but in the morning, when the Chinese tourists are still asleep. When you buy a ticket, you also get a free tour around the mansion. We were in the English speaking group with random people in it. To get into the mansion you literally have to go through the body search. They don't let you to bring any camera or phone or any bag inside. The girl asked me 3 times if I had camera on me. On a third time I barked back that I didn't. Already a bit pissed we had to go through tons of the Chinese tourists on a package trip. Sometimes they really think they own the world. One Chinese lady said "Oh.. let the foreigners in..", ha~ like she's not a foreigner in Thailand? And then during the tour our small group got jammed between 2 big Chinese groups. Being quite a loud language in itself, with the guide being overzealous our group's guide was "lost in translation". But the mansion itself is very pretty, and well decorated with various gifts from royal families world leaders around the world.
There was something else I wanted to write about Bangkok, but I forgot..
On the eleventh, we were picked up at our hostel and drove on the bus to Ayuthaya. If it wasn't scorching hot of 45 degrees, I would've really enjoyed sightseeing Ayuthaya. It was very beautiful I will upload pictures later. From there we took another bus for 9 hours journey to Chiang Mai.

1 comment:

  1. hey aunty katie! its laura nikki's daughter! is that your fiance? i hope i spelt that correct lol i found your blog quite interesting! hows your trip going atm? where you guys off to next? anyways much love laura xoxox

    ReplyDelete